Sunday, January 4, 2009

s07e22 - This Has Never Happened at Home Before

I almost forgot to mention Boxing Day. I've tried to put it to the back of mind, but seeing as I just recounted the story to Sarah, I guess while it's still kinda fresh in my noggin' I'll recount it here too.
So, after the incredibly long day that was Christmas Day, myself and Andrew decided to pull and all nighter and stay up to hit Future Shop at 6am for the Boxing Day sale.
Shaun, Andrew's brother, who missed Christmas Day with us due to unforeseen weather conditions in Vancouver, finally flew into town at 1:30am on Boxing Day giving us a decent distraction before it was time to head out.
At about 2:30am Andrew had the classic idea of watching a movie to pass the time ... good thinking. It all turned sour however when he loaded V for Vendetta into the PS3. Don't get me wrong, V for Vendetta is a very, very good movie, but when you've been awake for 20 hours already and trying to stay awake is your main priority, V is just not the movie to watch.
Anyway, after 30 odd minutes of that and ridiculous amounts of yawning, it was back to the TV until 4:15am when we decided now was the time to move.
When we got to Future Shop we joined the already growing line and where back about 40 or 50 people. The hour and a half wait was going to be a long one, but didn't seem like anything I couldn't handle.
15 minutes into the wait, the -25C degree conditions started to get to me. I had 4 layers on the top half and so it wasn't too bad. I was wearing 2 pairs of jocks (don't ask me why) and so that region of my body was fairly toasty. Everything from mid thigh down however was only covered by a single layer of clothing and was now beginning to burn with the cold. Luckily the burning can be counteracted by moving a little ... well, that works for 15 minutes or so before all heat from your body is completely gone still leaving you with 45 minutes till the doors open and a pair of big toes that want to be anywhere but on the end of your feet.
Salesmen walked the line, which now stretched back a good 80 to 100m and was 2 or 300 strong, trying to pre sell stuff. It was a bit of a scam really as all they where doing was making sure their name was put o the register IF you where lucky enough to get the item you where after.
At 5:45am, the doors opened and the madness began. All us morons that braved the cold began to pile our way in, while the freeloaders who couldn't hack the cold came running in from their warm cars trying to rush the line. It didn't worry me too much because I was inside before the first of the line breakers got there.
I didn't really have a plan for the sale to be honest, I thought I'd head in and check out a few things, but didn't have a must have item in mind, unlike Andrew who was going hell for leather for a surround system and a big screen TV (which he already purchased online, but was willing to get a second and return the other just so he could have it 4 days earlier than the delivery schedule)
I loped towards the camera section to see what DSLR's they had on offer. The one amazing deal there was a Cannon Rebel XS out for half price (about C$1000 down to C$499) they had 5 there, so I got one .. score, because as you may have seen with the photo I posted from Lake Louise, it takes a very nice photo)
Andrew got his surround sound unit but missed the TV as the sales guy gave him the run around on availability. Shaun picked up a few cheap Blu Ray discs and our Boxing Day sale experience was over and done with by 6:30am.
I was in bed by 7:15am and my feet and toes regained feeling at about 9am ... the next day!

2 comments:

Pixie said...

You are absolutly out of your skull Aaron. The SAME sales were all week! LOL!

-Nat

AC said...

... but I wasn't going to be around for them to deliver stock, so I had to be there to get ... oh, and if I didn't go, the blog would have been a fascinating one about me waking up at 11:30am and then doing my hair and make up!